HOOORAY! This is CROCHET FOR DAYS! Because we did this Mood Scarf for 31 days! KitKat and I finished our Mood Scarf, ok ok – we are 85% done. We have to crochet the border on it, she needs to sew in ends, and then wash and block! How exciting! It only took us close to three months since that is the amount of time she is with us in those three months! As we were finishing up the scarf yesterday, for our last day, she was already asking to do ANOTHER project! What the heck?! ALREADY?! Let’s finish this one first — Looks over to the five projects I have in the works at this very moment. Oh dear, she watches me too well doesn’t she?
Anyway, cool things I liked about doing the Mood Scarf.
- I got to do a project with KitKat (step-daughter of awesomeness).
- It encouraged both of us to really dig into what mood we were feeling that day – in its own way it was a mindfulness journey.
- We both ended on the same color/mood we started our scarves on.
I would tell anyone, ANYONE, who is into crochet or knitting to do a mood scarf of their very own if they are looking for a project. I really enjoyed it. It is a quick (I mean a month-long project but it really doesn’t take very long to do each day), the results are fun and fabulous, and you really have to be honest with yourself.
What do I plan on doing with the left over yarn from the Mood Scarf project? I plan on finishing my other projects first, is what I would say if my hubby asked me that question. But since I asked for you cause you’re curious, I’m gonna make a ripple picnic blanket with it and some other yarn from my stash! HAH! Just don’t tell the husband.
Here was our layout for your viewing pleasure and maybe project inspiration.
Keek’s and KitKat’s Mindfulness Mood Scarf
Our Moods and colours
- Adventurous/Excited – Purple
- Happy – Orange
- Calm/Relaxed/Peaceful/Content – Sky Blue
- Average/Neutral/Med – Green
- Bored – Brown
- Sad/Hopeless – Dark Blue
- Unsettled/Mixed emotion – Yellow
- Stressed/Overwhelmed/Frustrated – Black
- Fear/Uncertainty – Grey
- Angry/Upset/Irritated – Red
- Crochet hook – 5.5mm (I/9)US
- Yarn – 1 Skien of each color should be fine (we used Red Heart Super Saver, wash it with fabric softener and it softens up nicely)
- Moss stitch
- chain 26 +1
- Row 1 – skin 1ch from end, *sl st into next ch, hdc, rep from * turn
- Row 2 – ch1, *sl st, hdc, rep from * to end
- Repeat row 2 throughout scarf
- Moss stitch
I had a lot of the yarn already in my stash from other projects, but KitKat and I purchased four more skeins at the beginning because we wanted a lot more emotion options added. I have seen other plans that only have found colours, but we felt that there needed to be a broader range of choices. Having done that, I am glad we did. The reason I have more than one emotion for each colour is because sometimes those emotions all seem to go hand in hand for me.
I hope this helps and inspires you, because that’s why I do these things.
Til next time,